Tuesday, March 17, 2009

chicken bus trip

Imagine waking up one morning at 5:30 a.m. to the sound of fireworks exploding right outside your window. Once the crackling ceases, a cheesy version of Happy Birthday ,that sounds like a mix of an 80's Wonder Bread commercial with a few members of the Brady Bunch thrown in, starts blasting from your speakers. As you rub your eyes awake, pull on your jeans, and stumble down the stairs in a sleepy stupor your friends await you at the bottom, groggy yet bright eyed and clapping you into your birthday. Sounds like the ideal way to start your day, right?

Well, that was me this morning. It's not my birthday today, but I got the pleasure of being a groggy clapper this morning for my neighbor Joe. Apparently this is celebratory tradition for Guatemalans on their birthday. Joe isn't Guatemalan, but his girlfriend is and she planned this grand awakening for him. So as the roosters were coaxing the sun's slow ascent over the mountains in the horizon, I was drinking fresh coffee and eating a breakfast of fresh cut fruit, fried eggs and tortillas covered in chipotle sauce with my friends. Although early and probably not the most appealing birthday morning, it was a great way to start the day!


I am happy to say that my living situation here in Guatemala is pretty great. I have a beautiful house with a great view. When the gate to my house closes behind me I don't even feel like I'm living on a dusty and busy road. My housemate and I get along well and my neighbors, also co-workers, are really awesome! We all get together and cook, making each night feel like a dinner party. I like the feeling of community there is among us all.

Since I've been here I have spent most of my time working, with a few little excursions here and there. I've been bowling, attended (and lost) a night of Texas Hold-em at a friend's house with a beautiful view of the city, walked around a little bit, and have been out to a few bars. This past weekend was my first time out of the city. It was wonderful! Until this past weekend I had only heard about the beauty of Guatemala, now I've had a chance to see a little of it!


My co-worker, Andrea, and I headed out of the city to experience the wonders of Lago Atitlan, or Lake Atitlan. We traveled there via "Chicken Bus." I'm not really sure where the name of the bus originated, but from what I can tell, a Chicken Bus is an old school bus painted with really bright colors. Somewhere on the bus you will find a picture of Jesus or the words "JesusCristo" written on them. People sit three across with one tiny aisle in between. When all six people actually sit in the row the aisle disappears and it becomes extremely crowded. Also, I don't think you need to be at the bus terminal to be picked up. Our bus stopped anytime someone was on the road waving the bus down. We would be speeding down the highway, rounding a curve, and the bus would skid to a stop, jerking everyone forward. The journey was beautiful, with roads that curved around the three volcanoes that surround the lake. The ride was one of contrasts, the bus blasting along the roads paying little attention to the steep dropoff less than six inches to my right; and the bus creeping through small Mayan towns, roads so narrow that you can practically touch the people standing on the street.

Our final destination, Santiago Atitlan, is a small Mayan city tucked between two volcanoes, Toliman and San Pedro. The city was host to Festival Atitlan, a music festival a.k.a "hippy festival." Andrea and I picked up our friend Lily from the dock and headed off to the festival, the reason for our journey. The action took place in a pine grove just outside of town. A small stage was set up with an area for dancing in front. People were sprawled out on the grass basking in the sun or seeking shade beneath the pine trees. Local artisans were selling their wares and some amazing food and drinks were being served. There were bands from noon to midnight from all genres: blu grass, folk, funk, reggae, salsa, ska, rock, and blues...etc There was also a really amazing piece of spoken word performed, which I was happy to hear. I met a few really cool people at the festival. Night and day were spent chillin, listening to the music, and chatting with people. I didn't take any pictures this weekend, but I will post some from Andrea's camera.

I headed to San Pedro after the festival. I spent the morning there eating breakfast basking in the sunshine and the breathtaking view of the volcanoes and the lake. I took a boat across the lake to Panajachel. Panajachel is really touristy and the "hub" of most activities that happen around the lake. I spent the afternoon exploring and relaxing by the lake, watching locals swim and eat together. Late afternoon found us smooshed on the Chicken Bus, speeding towards home. I arrived home dusty and exhausted, cheeks red from the sun.

I definitely feel refreshed after my weekend away from the city. I'm looking forward to exploring more of the country whenever I have the chance. I have five days off in April. I'm thinking about heading up to Coban or maybe Mexico. Anyone wanna come visit me? I'd love to have a travel buddy!

1 comment:

jek said...

I would LOVE to visit and travel with you...but it's likely not to happen soon. =(